Howdy! I’m Jonathan Vieker. I write about personal development, productivity, and living a meaningful life. I love learning and helping others improve. I also love coffee.
I’m a musician, writer, and higher ed professional living in Kirksville, Missouri. As an academic advisor at Truman State University, my work days consist of working on interesting projects with dedicated colleagues and helping new students make a smooth transition to college. It’s truly meaningful work — a great gig.
My degrees are in music, and I play daily (check out a recent recording here). While in graduate school for trumpet performance, I experienced a series of severe lip injuries which ended in lip surgery to repair a torn lip muscle. I eventually regained my playing ability, and I created The Lip Rip Blues to document my recovery and serve as a resource for other injured brass players. The experience wasn’t much fun, but it made me the person I am today.
- We have the ability to change our lives any time we wish. We have way more control than we think.
- Creative expression is for everyone, not just professionals. Paint, write, make music, or restore old cars. If you don’t know how, you’re lucky! You get to experience the joy of starting.
- Reading is the foundation of self-improvement. It is irreplaceable.
- Joni Mitchell is way underrated. Seriously, you guys. Go listen to Hejira. I’ll wait.
- Success is just a collection of good habits repeated daily. And habits can be learned.
- If you like coffee, consider roasting your own beans. It’s surprisingly easy.
- Life is about doing more, not less. When in doubt, act.
Here are some of the most popular articles I’ve written. Have a look!
- Failure is Good. So Are You Failing Enough?
- The Basics of Getting Things Done, Part I
- The Magic of a Morning Routine
- You Need to Create: Why Making Art Is for Everyone
- 3 Reasons to Start Reading More
- What is Personal Development, and Why Should You Care?
I publish an article every Tuesday and Friday, and the best way to stay up-to-date is to sign up to receive new posts via email. I’d love to have you on the mailing list, and if you’d like to see a topic covered, please let me know!