Hi, I’m Jonathan Vieker. I write about strategies for living a more effective and meaningful life. If you’re interested in becoming more productive, better at life, and just plain smarter, you’re in the right place!
You can see everything I’ve written on the archives page, but here are some of the most popular articles on this site:
- How We Paid Off $48,000 of Student Loan Debt in Two Years
- Failure is Good. So Are You Failing Enough?
- The Basics of Getting Things Done, Part I
- The Magic of a Morning Routine
- How to Focus: 6 Productivity Tips
- The Problem with Minimalism
- 5 Ways to Keep Politics in Perspective
- What Would This Look Like If It Were Easy?
- Do The Most Important Thing First
- The Simple Genius of Planning Your Day the Night Before
- Our New Baby Girl (and 3 Ways to Avoid Catastrophizing)
- You Need to Create: Why Making Art Is for Everyone
- 3 Reasons to Start Reading More
- What is Personal Development, and Why Should You Care?
About Jonathan Vieker
I’m a musician, writer, and higher ed professional living in Kirksville, Missouri. As an academic advisor, I work on interesting projects with dedicated colleagues and help new students make a smooth transition to college. It’s truly meaningful work—a great gig.
My degrees are in music, and I perform regularly (check out a recent recording here). While in graduate school for trumpet performance, I experienced a series of severe lip injuries which ended in lip surgery to repair a torn lip muscle. I eventually regained my playing ability, and I created The Lip Rip Blues to document my recovery and serve as a resource for other injured brass players. The experience wasn’t much fun, but it forced a lot of personal growth. I wouldn’t change it.
I post new articles regularly, and the best way to stay up-to-date is to sign up to receive new posts via email. I’d love to have you on the mailing list, and if you’d like to see a topic covered, please let me know!